Maureen and her daughter, Angela
Maureen is very interested in her family’s Irish heritage and has visited Ireland twice.
POTATO CAKES (makes 8 cakes)
From MY IRISH COOKBOOK by Monica Sheridan
1 lb potatoes, freshly boiled
3 tbsp butter
¾ cup flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1. Rice (or mash) the potatoes.
2. Blend butter, flour, salt, and baking powder together in a food processor.
3. Mix flour mixture into the potatoes with your hands to make a dough.
4. Cut dough in half. Pat and roll each half of the dough into 2 circles. Cut each circle into quarters.
5. Heat a griddle.
6. Bake cakes on ungreased griddle to brown both sides well.
7. Serve hot with butter.
I served the Potato Cakes with Ukrainian Jellied Pork Hocks and Salad.
They also tasted good with Sweet Potato Syrup from Thomasville, Georgia, U.S.A..
How does one say 'Bon Appetit' in Gaelic?