LOTS OF FUN THINGS to do in CHATTANOOGA: We even ran out of time so we could not do all of these.
1. TENNESSEE AQUARIUM: Daily 10 to 7:30
2. CREATIVE DISCOVERY MUSEUM: 9:30 to 5:30 daily: First go to Aquarium: admission with Aquarium stub is cheaper.
3. HUNTER MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART: Sun: noon-5, Mon 10-5, Tues 10-5, Wed: noon – 5, Thurs: 10-8pm
4. CHATTANOOGA WHISKEY EXPERIMENTAL DISTILLERY: Sun noon-7pm, Mon-Wed: 11 to 9pm, Thurs 11am
5. COOLIDGE PARK: carousel and interactive play fountain
6. LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN INCLINE RAILWAY: 1 hour minimum: Daily 8:30 to 8: Can combine with RUBY FALLS: cave with stalactites & “Fun Forest: a multilevel activity center for children.
7. TENNESSEE VALLEY RAILROAD: Sun 10-5, Closed Monday, Tues-Thurs: 10-1:30: 2 hr min
8. REFLECTION RIDING ARBORETUM: 1400 ft long boardwalk on wetland, native log cabins: Sunday 12:30-4, Mon closed, Tues – Thurs: 9:30 to 4: 1 hr min
9. CHATTAN00GA DUCKS: 1 hr tour amphibious
10. LAKE WINNIE AMUSEMENT PARK
11. COKER TIRE MUSEUM: Sunday closed, Mon-Thurs: 8am – 5 pm: free
12. CHICKAMAUGA MILITARY PARK: “beautiful park in wartime condition with cannons” open daily to dusk: Visitor center video: 8:30-5: free (p. 53 in guide)
CARRIAGE RIDE: lovely at night when it's cooler out
PICKLED RHUBARB in SALAD
From: CHATELAINE magazine: May/June 2018
½ cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 cups rhubarb: stalks cut into ¼ inch pieces
Method: Bring vinegar, sugar, and salt to a simmer in a small pot over medium-high. Stir until sugar dissolves: about 1 min. Put rhubarb in bowl and pour vinegar mixture over. Let stand at room temp for 1 hour.
all the pickling liquid from above
3 tsp Dijon mustard
3/4 tsp pepper
6 tbsp olive oil
6 cups salad greens
¼ cup chives, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 tbsp sunflower seeds
Shake pickling liquid, mustard, oil, and pepper in a jar to make dressing.