Monday 1 April 2024

Mary Stadnyk's letter on March 29, 1985 . . . and Lamb chops with Eggplant


March 29th 1985     (from Shoal Lake, 32 cent stamp)
        I received your letter last week but was to busy to answer this morning I am washing cloths so will write in between loads


        Diana was down for week end left early Monday morring she did want to go at 4 30 in the as she would get home late.  Being I was up early so I baked two angele food cakes one for Bake sale and one for myself.  Then in the evening Lorne Clayton & Lee came so the cake I baked Sunday was all gone so Tuesday I baked anther one on Tuesday the boys were here David & Douglas like cake so I had to bake othere and Karen send me a nice piece of oatmeal date squars so Lorence & Matt were here so we had that and Hellen was down yesterday
        On Tuesday I prepared the pig head for head cheese and on Wednesday I cooked that and made carrot muffins some for Bake sale and some for myself and yesterday I baked a oatmeal date cake some for Bake Sale the rest for myself.  Yesterday I make holoptsy.  Today was so Sat I will rest as I am going to church at 8 30 it starts so will have to be up early
        Monday is bake Sale at 8 00 in the evening but I don’t know whethere I will go maybe only send Matt with the stuff.  Shirley may want to go.
        I will have to go to town to get things for Easter.  I need to go this week as I need cheques cashed as I have a lot to pay such as church membership and Membership to wemens organasation and for carling as I was not home as its all happened  I will ask Mat today as the bank is closed on Sat.
        My dearest girls
                I still haven’t talked about the horses to Lenard  I suppose you think I am slow but I will talk to him today.
                The guineas are still here you will be able to see them and the little roaster is still here.
                I am all excited about you come for Easter
                I didn’t color eggs as it takes to much time
                                                Love Granny
I will close for now.  I did phone and the boy told me they keep the horses in the barn so the girls will be able to see them
        May your days be merry and bright.

                Good Luck                      Love Mother

************

Lamb Chops with Eggplant

from Cordon Bleu Cookery Course: #55

2 lamb chops

2 tbsp oil

1 oz butter

1 large onion

1 medium eggplant

Salt

¼ tsp pepper

1 clove garlic

1 tsp tomato paste

5 oz stock

3-4 tomatoes

2 tbsp grated cheese

1 tbsp chopped parsley


 Slice eggplant and salt lightly.

 Slice onion.

 Slice tomatoes.

 Chop garlic and set aside on a separate plate.

 Preheat oven to 350.

 In Dutch oven, brown lamb chops quickly in oil & butter. Remove

from pan.

 Fry onion until brown. Remove.

 Fry eggplant for 5 minutes, turning often.

 Return onions to pan. Add garlic, tomato paste, pepper, stock,

and tomatoes.

 Bring to the boil. Taste for salt.

 Push lamb chops down into mixture to cover.

 Sprinkle with cheese.

 Put uncovered into oven for 35-40 minutes.

 Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment