To Nicole’s and Maybelle's delighted surprise, James arrived ahead of schedule. When I tried to take Maybelle for her walk, she was so reluctant to leave James that she walked for several blocks with her head turned longingly backwards.
My contribution to supper tonight will be homemade hamburger buns and a Jellied Waldorf salad from Knox On-Camera Recipes. Nicole is doubly intrigued -- a retro recipe AND it’s jellied!
The pecans for the salad come from a tree in Nicole’s backyard.
Maybelle loves pecans, too.
When James tires her out, playing with her Wubbly, she scrounges around under the tree for a treat which she expertly shells herself.
Moment of Truth: The salad was pretty weird! 2 Thumbs Down, 1 Up (mine)
The hamburger buns were good, however.
¾ cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
2 ¼ tsp yeast
2 tbsp softened butter
1 ½ tsp salt
2 ½ cups flour
· Dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle with yeast and let sit for 5 mins.
· Rub butter into flour.
· Beat egg.
· Add egg, salt, and bubbly yeast to the flour. Knead until smooth.
· Let rise in a warm place for 1 ½ hours.
· Punch down and divide dough into 6 to 8 pieces.
· Pat pieces into circles and place on well-greased sheet.
· Let rise for 30 minutes.
· Preheat oven to 375 while letting buns rise 15 more minutes.
· Brush buns with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
· Bake for 20 minutes.
Nicole filled them with spicy turkey patties, baby spinach, mayo, and an egg! Yum.