My nephew, David, and I in the Dark Ages
Happy Birthday, David! I’m thinking you should start your day off with something really good:
POPPY SEED PANCAKES
Inspired by Janet Nixdorf, The Herald (Winnipeg), Feb. 18, 1998
2 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp liquid honey (or melted)
1 tbsp veg oil
2 cups buttermilk
1. Zest the lemon. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds.
3. Combine lemon zest with flour mixture.
4. Squeeze enough lemon for 2 tbsp juice.
5. Beat the egg.
6. Combine lemon juice, egg, honey, oil, and buttermilk.
7. Gently stir buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients. There should still be lumps in the batter.
8. Makes about 12 small pancakes.
9. Serve with butter and warm maple syrup.
David and Crystal