Based on CZECH CUISINE by Joza Brizova and Maryna Klimentova
4 thick, large slices of white bread (Italian or French style loaf)
¾ cup milk
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
· Grease 9 inch square cake pan (or casserole) heavily with butter or you'll have trouble when you’re serving.
· Heat the milk but don’t boil it.
· Line the casserole with the 4 slices of bread.
· Spoon ½ cup of the milk over the bread slices. They should be moist, but not soaked.
· Put the casserole in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
· Meanwhile, slice the cheese.
· Distribute the cheese on the bread slices and place an egg on each.
· Sprinkle with salt and paprika and the rest of the milk.
Bake until eggs are set – about 20 minutes. (Check after 15 minutes)
Serve with a lettuce salad.
Nicole commented: “It’s like a rarebit, only milder. . . I really like it.” Then she added, “They do say when you’re cooking with simple ingredients, the secret is to use really good ones.”
I used 150 g (5 ounces) of smoked cheddar – Ilchester Applewood cheese. . . delicious!
Christmas is officially over -- after our light brunch, Nicole flew home today.