HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DIANA!
PORK & ZUCCHINI MEATBALLS in LETTUCE CUPS
For there is no friend like a sister . . .
(Christina Rossetti, 1830-1894)
Diana enjoyed this appetizer:
From: CHATELAINE magazine: October 2013
1 medium zucchini
500 grams ground pork
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tsp hot chili-garlic sauce
1 cup coarsely grated carrot
2 tbsp rice vinegar
· Separate lettuce into leaves. Wash. Spin. Put in plastic bag and into fridge to crisp.
· In a separate small bowl, combine grated carrot and rice vinegar. Set aside to marinate.
· Coarsely grate the zucchini. Squeeze out liquid. (I used a ricer.)
· Combine zucchini, pork, five-spice powder, and salt. Shape into large balls. Put on a baking sheet.
· Preheat oven to 350. Roast meatballs for 30 minutes.
· Mix together mayonnaise and chili-garlic sauce in a small bowl.
· Coarsely chop one cup cilantro and put into a small bowl.
Set out lettuce on a plate, hot meatballs on a plate, carrot in a bowl, and mayo in another bowl. Also put out small plates, utensils, and napkins. Let everyone put together the appetizer for themselves:
Spread mayo on the lettuce. Add a meatball. Top with carrots and cilantro.