Sunday 25 December 2016

Heading SOUTH . . . and Ukrainian Buckwheat Varenyky

Bye, Vesper.  Stay warm, sweetie.  


Good-bye, Snow.    


Along the way, we'll be reading some history . . . recommended by Nestor. . .

and more history . . .

and this . . . recommended by Kathy. . . 

and some 19th century English lit . . .

and, at the end of a long day of driving, for sheer comic relief, this . . . 

**********

 Now,  FOOD REFLECTIONS . . . 


BUCKWHEAT VARENIKI are traditional so I tried making them this year

     based on:  


This dough has 2 cups of buckwheat flour and 1 cup of white.   

Another recipe called for just buckwheat flour in the dough.   I'm glad I tried it, but I have to say I prefer regular pyrohi.


Helen says, however, that her mother often
made buckwheat perogies.





No comments:

Post a Comment