It had to be BIG before anyone went to a doctor in the old days.
Even though it happened more than 50 years ago, I still remember Dad coming in once, much the worse for wear.
The horse(s) had stampeded and Dad must have pitched forward because a rake like this one went over him. Mom doctored him up and that was that.
Dad’s birthday was on December 13, 1901.
Dad would have enjoyed this delicious dinner of sautéed liver, new potatoes, and . . .
1 large eggplant
5 tbsp olive oil, divided
4 ounces onion
2 tbsp minced garlic
5 fresh plum tomatoes
1 bunch spinach
¼ cup sundried tomatoes (in oil)
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried rosemary (not powdered)
1 tsp pepper
¼ cup sliced green olives
¼ cup raisins
1 ¼ tsps. Salt
Parmesan, freshly grated
1. Cut the eggplant in half length-wise. Score the cut surfaces so they will absorb oil.
2. Thinly slice the onion. Set aside.
3. Mince the garlic. Set aside.
4. Coarsely chop the spinach. Set aside.
5. Finely chop the Roma (plum) tomatoes. Set aside.
6. Slice the olives. Set aside.
7. Measure the sundried tomatoes and raisins. Set aside.
8. Chop the parsley. Set aside.
9. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium-sized or small frying pan over medium heat. Put in both eggplant halves, skin side down. Cook 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
10.Turn heat to low or minimum. Add 1 tbsp oil and put one of the eggplant halves in, cut side down. Cook 5 minutes to brown. Remove.
11.Add another tbsp. oil and put in the other eggplant half. Brown for 5 minutes. Remove.
12. In a large frying pan or Dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium low heat. Add onions and cook for 4 minutes until softened.
13. Add garlic and stir for one minute. Add sundried tomatoes, olives, raisins, spices, spinach, Roma tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
14. Take off heat. Stir in parsley.
15. Chop up eggplant into 2 inch cubes. Put these in the bottom of a Pyrex or corning ware casserole dish. (9 inch square or 10 inch square)
16. Spoon the rest of the ingredients on top.
FORTY MINUTES BEFORE SERVING:
*Preheat oven to 350.
*Cover casserole and bake 30 minutes.
*Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan before serving.