Saturday 7 May 2016

Mom's Letter . . . and Heritage Custard Pie




The hall is booked and priest too.  But I didn’t know what to do about food they charge $6. 00 a plate they sereve it and will serve the coffee a lunch later in the same money.  I think its all right I told so they are more this year but everything is up.  

About the band Matthew is looking after that he phoned him but he was not home so he will phone Matthew when he gets back. 

Diana bought me earrings to go with the dress. 

Matthew got himself 50 geese there will a lot of honking this year


Dads making a coral for them so they be fenced in.  and the chicken will be free  I got myself 10 ducks and they are a pain in neck they are big now but no feather they look ugly.  We got the floor covered in the kitchen and it’s a difference just have to sweep up I haven’t wash for three week and it looks clean.

 I am still doing Rugs but so little at time that its like stand still.
My foot ackes a lot latly I have it bandged so its better. 

Since they took Dads license away from him we haven’t been any place not even to church.  I have plant my flower seeds but it don’t rain so they just sitting in the plot it froze last night so hard that water froze about inch thick if not more,  and it suppose to freeze tonight again. 


Diana phoned yesterday.  Bill and his uncle went to the cottage but she stayed home as she had to work today and besides she had some cleaning up to do.

  I have almost finnish the list of people a lot are widows what we know so it was hard to invite a bunch of people I still got to over it and see who I mist I don’t seem to have time either I am teaching dad or looking after chickens or having a sleep as I get up at eight oclock and go to bed late so I am allways sleepy.  Dad put the garlic, onions, lettuce & radishes today May 12th.  I will close for now as I don’t have much to write maybe next time I will be better.  Take good care of yourself and the baby will write soon 

Love Mother 

**********
*  Dad did pass his driver’s test. 

* The party Mom wrote about was their Golden Wedding Anniversary which took place in the fall.
* I was in hospital for over a month, but the baby arrived safely on May 22nd, and shortly afterwards met her grandmother.

*******


Mom always made this pie out of her head.  Fortunately, when her granddaughter grew up, she watched Granny make this pie which has always been a family favourite.  Mom always used to make it in the winter when the cows came into their milk.


MARY STADNYK’S CUSTARD PIE

1 unbaked pie crust
3 eggs
1/8 tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg and some more to sprinkle
1 ¼ cups milk
½ cup sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch

*Preheat oven to 425.
*Roll pastry out and fit into an 8 to 9 inch pie plate.
*Mix sugar, salt, cornstarch, and ¼ tsp nutmeg together
*Beat egg slightly, just enough to mix the yolks and whites.  Add sugar mixture.
*Stir in milk until sugar crystals almost dissolve.
*Pour into pastry-lined pie plate and sprinkle with nutmeg.
*Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.  Then reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes until set. 
*Test by shaking gently and running a knife through center.  It is ready if knife comes out clean.

*Best served warm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment