ESSENTIAL: Pack water and a lunch – a Pizza Margherita is PERFECT.
Thin & Crispy Crust Pizza Dough
From all the best pizzas by Joie Warner
1 envelope dry yeast (2 ½ tsp)
¼ tsp sugar
¾ cup lukewarm water
2 ½ cups flour
½ tsp salt
1 large egg
· Stir yeast and sugar into water. Let stand 5 – 7 minutes.
· Meanwhile, start oven preheating to 350 but turn off after one minute.
· Stir flour and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
· Lightly beat the egg. Stir in the yeast mixture.
· Add yeast mixture to flour and knead.
· Lightly brush the mixing bowl with olive oil. Turn dough around in it to oil all over.
· Cover with tea towel and let rise in oven for one hour.
· Brush the pizza pan with canola oil.
· Turn dough out onto pizza pan and pat out to fill the pan.
· Preheat oven to 500.
½ cup grated fontina cheese = 4 ounces
¼ cup grated provolone cheese
½ cup grated mozzarella
1 ripe medium tomato: sliced very thinly
Shredded fresh basil leaves: about ½ cup
*Spread cheeses over a thin crust dough.
*Top with sliced tomatoes and half the basil leaves.
*Bake at 500 for 13 to 15 minutes. Dough should be golden brown at edges and cheese should be flecked with golden-brown spots.
Sprinkle with remaining basil leaves.