Thursday 5 May 2016

Lots of Cooks . . . and BEET LEAF HOLUBTSI


The mom of one of my students once gave a big pot full of Beet Leaf Holubtsi.  I took them home and everyone loved them.  They were dense, delectable little bullets. That was the first time I ever had Beet Leaf Holubtsi. 



I can’t remember Mom ever making Beet Leaf Holubtsi, but she had a recipe and, for years, I have been planning to try it out.

Finally, I got the push I needed.  Instead of buying me one bunch of beets for borsch, Bryan picked up two big bunches . . . with leaves attached. 

Before starting, I thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers from someone who knew how to do them . . .
                                                      so I called Aline . . .

            and got extra help because she also got some input from Kacy!

            Turned out these are so easy to make that I will make a small batch any time I buy beets with the leaves still attached.

Thanks, everyone.   I made two batches: one baked open on a cookie sheet (Kacy style) and the other covered in a casserole, as in Mom's recipe.  I thought I overbaked the ones on the cookie sheet (unlike Kacy!) but my guests loved them. 

                 Diana said the Kacy style ones were the best she's ever had!

The casserole style also worked for me.   Still, my family fondly remembered the ones that were given to me twenty years ago.  So the instructions below are a result of all this information.  There's no such thing as too many cooks spoiling the soup in our family!

********
BEET LEAF HOLUBTSI 

Just prepare the dough for a loaf of your favorite white bread but, after it rises, pinch off a bit to fill the beet leaves!

To make the beet leaves more pliable, dip them just for a couple of seconds in boiling water, then drain.

Place a piece of dough the size of a walnut in a wilted leaf and roll it up.

Put the rolls in a greased casserole.  Dot them with butter and cover the casserole. 

Now here comes a choice between (a) and (b):

(a)             If you like fat, fluffy holubtsi, let the rolls rise for half an hour before baking.

(b)             If you like more solid, chewy holubtsi, don’t let them rise.  Bake them right away!

Bake in oven (350 degrees) for one-half hour. 

(If you prefer to do them uncovered on a cookie sheet, test them after 20 minutes.)

Re-heat in Cream-Dill Sauce.

**********

CREAM DILL SAUCE
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp butter
1 cup cream
Dill (chopped fresh or dry dillweed)

Brown the onion a little in the butter in a large frying pan.  Add baked holubtsi and pour cream around them.  


Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes.  Sprinkle with dill and serve. 






No comments:

Post a Comment