Tuesday 4 February 2014

MARILYN sent a PICTURE . . . and SCRUMPTIOUS BAKED PASTA

Feb 4th 1983
I received your letter last week.  I don’t remember when as I been going to town so much last week so don’t have the track what I did and when.  On Monday morning went to Shoal Lake to mail the packages to Ukraine as I wanted to send when the postage is still not up.  Then on Wed we were in Birtle and Rossburn, then on Thursday in Hamiota we wanted paint when on sale and it turned out not the kind we want.  Then on Friday we were again in Shoal Lake for Dad’s medicine as it was closed on Monday.



I am working on my Ukrainian embroidery but got very little done.  I sewed up three of my cushions and one of Diana’s Aline finished. 

Lorne was down Sat.  He was to Shoal Lake and called in for eggs and brought Diana’s cushion top. 






I am knitting in evenings as I want to finish that before I start on embroidery, I have two cushions to do in crewel embroidery.
Tomorrow I will wash clothes.



Friday I sent away a little dress for Marilyn’s little girl.  Marilyn sent me a picture of her family and the little girl’s name is MaryAn. 


It been cold for a while.  It’s not too bad but it’s colder than we been used to.
I bought myself two nightgowns   so now I will have a nice blue one.

I am glad the baby is keeping well as when little ones get sick the whole house is upset as they can’t sleep and keep everyone up.
  
Dad bought himself a heating pad but he is not using as it did not help him when he did use it, I told he should use it for a while and see but he said he only paid $30.00 for nothing.


          I will close for now as it’s time to go to bed but I am not sleepy.

**************
MaryAn
(wearing the dress Mom sent)


***********

Marilyn was looking for big recipes during the last part of 2013,  so this recipe is late but still might come in handy from time to time.  It’s very easy to make as well as being nutritious and delicious!  In fact, it’s similar to Greek Pastitsio.


Chatelaine’s  Easy Pasta Strata :  February, 1995

375 g box rotini
1 lb lean ground beef  (500 g)
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp dried basil
645 ml jar spaghetti sauce (about 3 cups: I used Prego Original)
1 tsp sugar
2 cups grated cheddar
1 ½ cups grated mozzarella
3 cups milk
4 eggs
½ tsp salt  (Diana suggested ¾ tsp)
½ tsp pepper

·        Bring large pot of water to a boil.
·        Brown meat with garlic powder and basil in a large frying pan.  Stir in spaghetti sauce and 2 cups cheese.  Remove from heat.
·        Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
·        Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water for 8 minutes (until partially cooked).  Drain.  Stir together with spaghetti sauce.
·        Whisk eggs with milk, salt, and pepper.
·        Turn most of pasta into a 9 x 13 pan.  I also used a small 4 x 6 casserole.
·        Whisk eggs again and pour over the pasta in the 2 pans.
·        Cover with the mozzarella.
·        Place dishes in oven.  Immediately reduce temperature to 350.
·        Bake for 65 minutes.  Test by inserting a knife.  It should come out clean.


PERFECT for the whole family, Marilyn!


No comments:

Post a Comment