Saturday 11 January 2014

MARY STADNYK wrote . . . and PINEAPPLE CHIFFON CAKE

Jan 11th 1983
            I am washing today so thought I would write you.  











We are fine,


Dad had dizzy spells last week, now he is not taking one kind of pills as two kinds made him dizzy.






  I started on one of my kind of embroidery, the Ukrainian cross stitch, only a sample to see if I can do it.  I won’t know till almost I be finished that piece.


            Karen was down Sunday evening,  she has a cold or rather a flu, she’s been sick for a week, so many have the flu around here, 

                                       Naomi been sick for over a week too.


George went to Winnipeg alone to see the doctor, Aline said he didn’t want no one to go with him.  He was going to spend the night with Diana & Bill, he’s to come home today.  Dad & me went Sunday to see George but he was not home, he went to a hockey. 
            










Aline been carolling with Angusville women of Sat.  I don’t know when she baked up all the fancy baking, she even had holoptsy.  I guess the kids there are like Frank Magnowskis, they don’t want other’s cooking when their mother cooks up everything fancy.  One time Ronny Magnowski was down and I asked if he will have cake that Stasia had made, 


he said only if it’s chiffon with 7 minute icing.

            

We had two sets of carollers on Friday, the Catholic women praised the big picture of us.  Matt taped both carols, they didn't know.


There was a good T.V. picture of Ukraine, one man went to see his relatives and all over on a tour, it was very nice, I don’t know how he got the film, you maybe saw it, it was Sunday 9th.
            I got myself Chatelaine and there was 2 cushion tops and backs and yarn to embroider, they cost $24.95 each, I sent for them and may finish them for Christmas presents and the inside pillows I still got to make or buy, that will be $4.50 more, the cushions are not cheap now.
            The Hutterites sell bed pillows $25.00 each.  I thought a pair but Matt said it’s not.
            Matt sold all his cattle yesterday, only left one steer to kill.  He said he may buy some white ones.

           
Donald & David went fishing last Thursday with Nelson Shwaluk.  St. Lazare way and Nelson ran into a tree, David had few small cuts on head and Donald had a cut by the eye and a black eye.  They are fine now but the car got a bit of damage.

            I got up today with a cold, took some 222s and feeling fine.
            We were to church on Jan 7th Christmas Day and there is church Jan 19th, we may go then and I will look at Ukrainian tablecloths, if they have a big one I may buy it. 

              I have no more to write so I will close with best wishes for good health and best of luck.

************

I don’t like “Seven Minute Frosting” but I almost agree with Ron M. that chiffon cakes are a cut above the rest.  So I had a look at my cookbooks and found one that I had marked as “very good” in 2005. 



PINEAPPLE CHIFFON CAKE
      From Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

Topping Ingredients:
Can crushed pineapple:  Put this in fridge to chill ahead of time.
2 cups whipping cream

Cake Ingredients:
2 ¼ cups sifted cake flour
1 ½ cups sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup salad oil
5 egg yolks
¾ cup unsweetened pineapple juice
½ tsp cream of tartar
1 cup (8) egg whites.

1.      Preheat oven to 325.
2.     Sift dry ingredients into large mixing bowl. 
3.     Add salad oil, egg yolks, and pineapple juice.  Beat until smooth.
4.     In another large mixing bowl, beat together egg whites and cream of tartar.  Lift beaters to check for very stiff peaks. 
5.     Pour batter over egg whites, folding gently to blend.
6.     Pour into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. 
7.     Bake for 65 minutes.  (If top blackens, just cut that part off.)
8.     Invert and cool.
9.     Prepare Topping:  Thoroughly drain 2 ½ cups crushed pineapple.   Whip the cream.  Fold pineapple into cream.
10.                         Split cooled cake in 2 layers.  Fill with some Pineapple-whip Topping and frost with remainder.


*I’ll make this again this year and then I’ll add a picture. J  Sounds good, doesn’t it!

No comments:

Post a Comment