Nicole, Kepler, Music, & Philosophy . . .
. . . are Tops with James J
James has a band called TARIM and they have an album called . . .
THE PHILOSOPHER KING.
It’s HEAVY METAL. If you’d like a listen, go to:
“Beauty is not food you can cut on a plate.”
Old Ukrainian Proverb
We move, therefore, to the world of food. Roman cuisine seems appropriate for a Philosopher King, don’t you think?
So here’s the VERY BEST spinach side dish I have ever tasted J
ROMAN STYLE SPINACH (serves 3)
From Kay Shaw Nelson’s The Delectable Vegetable
10 to 12 ounces fresh spinach
1 ½ tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
1 large garlic clove
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup raisins
· Wash spinach and put into colander. Then put into a deep pot with whatever water remains on the leaves.
· Season with salt.
· Cover and cook on low heat for 12 minutes.
· Drain, pressing with a spoon, to remove all liquid.
Chop spinach coarsely.
· Chop onion finely.
· Soften the raisins for 5 minutes in very hot water and drain.
· Mince garlic.
· Heat butter and oil and sauté onion 4 or 5 minutes.
· Add spinach and garlic. Stir until hot.
· Add nuts, raisins, and a grating of pepper. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes.
This goes really well with a spicy meat! I only wish there was more of it!
Happy Birthday, James!