Vesper (10 months old)
On the ferry
Bodega Ridge Trail
This shell beach is actually a prehistoric midden!
The Ridge Trail ends at Stone World Studio and farm.
The avenue of stone pillars reminded us of Avebury, England . . .
But the sheep made it more like the Isle of Arran.
To go on the Bodega Ridge walk, you drive to the trail head, park, then it takes about an hour and a half to get to the Stone Studio. Then, you turn around and walk back.
Fortunately, our cabin was right there beside the Stone Studio Farm so we stopped for soup and Ukrainian Rye Bread before heading back to the parking lot J
The soup was so delicious I decided to call it:
BODEGA RIDGE CARROT SOUP
Serves 6 to 8
2 tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp grated gingerroot
1 lb carrots
1 chicken bouillon cube
4 cups water or vegetable stock
4 cups chicken stock
4 lime leaves (optional)
1/3 cup basmati rice
4 tbsp fine, dry, shredded coconut
½ cup cilantro
Salt to taste
· Chop the onions.
· Peel & chop the carrots.
· Sauté the onions in oil for 6 minutes in large sauce pan or Dutch oven.
· Add curry powder and ginger. Stir for 2 minutes.
· Add water, bouillon cube, stock, carrots, and lime leaves.
· Bring to a boil and add rice.
· Reduce heat and simmer for 13 minutes.
· Add coconut and simmer for 12 more minutes.
· Taste for salt.
· Chop cilantro.
· Remove from heat. Remove lime leaves. Add cilantro.
· Blend until smooth.
· Taste for salt before serving.
Thank you, Georges LeFebvre, for this recipe.