Sunday 25 August 2013

MALINI . . . or RASPBERRY FOOL



On August, 20th,  Aline wrote:
The raspberries are just producing like crazy.  I've done 3 batches of jam today and one batch of raspberry jelly.  I may pick some to freeze, just freeze the fruit for later use. I don't know why I'm even bothering as the jam eater is no longer here. The weather here is just an oven out of control. First we were crying for it to quite raining now we could use some to cool things down.

Aline’s email triggered lots of childhood memories for me.  There was one summer, in particular, when Anastasia came home.

We spent so much time outdoors, and I became so brown that I don’t think I ever lost all of that tan.  

Anastasia took Diana, Nestor, and me to pick wild raspberries in the hot sun.  

And that brings me to one of my all-time favourite desserts.  Mom prepared a big bowl of  raspberries mashed with sugar and stirred in cream so thick it didn't need whipping.

We just called it . . . 

Malini with Cream

For an individual helping, I used to mash about ½ cup of raspberries with a teaspoon of sugar, and then pour on thick cream.  I used enough cream to make the mixture a pale pink.  If it was bright pink, that was too strong. 

but in Cordon Bleu cookbooks it’s called . . .

RASPBERRY FOOL

For 4 servings:
Whip 2 cups of cream.  Add ½ cup sugar (or to taste). 
Mash 1 ½ cups of raspberries (or more) with a tablespoon of sugar.
Mix into the whipped cream and serve in parfait glasses.

And every year, Mom put up LOTS of sealers of Raspberries in Syrup for winter.  

Mom, 49 years old


 

No comments:

Post a Comment