Friday 7 December 2012

FIGGY PUDDING and Christmas Concerts


Marilyn has been thinking about Christmas concerts and Christmas dresses.  Here’s what she wrote:

The Christmas I knew – St. Nicholas Day was a special time, filled with songs and a Christmas concert!  Lots of excitement, although gifts were not a big part of it, although St. Nicholas did bring each kid a bag of candies, nuts and an orange.

 A new outfit for the concert was the norm! I still remember some of my outfits that I received, neatly laid out on the bed for me to find before the concert!  My fav was a red angora sweater with a red plaid skirt.  I ended up sneezing most of the concert much to my disappointment, due to the angora wool! 


Patsy and Marilyn :  1958

 This is a blue reversible skirt -- remember those skirts --  and a Necklace "M'.
You must have had an "E" necklace LOL.

  
 This one was taken in 1981, of Angels Sean and Debbie who is my Dad's sister's grandchild.  They are so cute and my Aunt Tillie was delighted that both were picked as she was at the concert!
 Isn't ST Nicholas horrid!!  with the fake beard.

 As I looked at the pictures, I think the fact that kids were involved in putting on a concert or going to one made it special as they were performing for an audience, which is always great.
I think Sean's smile sums it up!  

***************
  
Marilyn’s email evoked some wonderful memories for me about Christmas concerts and Christmas dresses.


1951:  Christmas Concert:  I’m in grade one; Nestor’s in grade 2. 
 Can you find us?

The Christmas Concert was always a highlight of the school year for me.  In Grade 2, I loved that we were all Snowflakes, crisscrossing the stage, dressed in white and sparkling tinsel.

**************

At the concerts, we always sang Christmas carols:

Oh, bring us a figgy pudding,
Oh, bring us a figgy pudding,



I was mortified when a treat in the classroom smeared my red satin dress. 


Oh, bring us a figgy pudding and a cup of good cheer.

FIGGY PUDDING   

1 cup dried figs
1 cup boiling water
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2/3 cup sugar
½ cup milk
½ cup walnuts
¾ cup sherry
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp butter

1.       Pour boiling water over figs.  Let stand 10 minutes; then drain and reserve the water.
2.      Cut up the figs.
3.      Butter a 9 inch round casserole.
4.      Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5.      Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and white sugar in large mixing bowl.
6.      Chop walnuts.

7.      Stir milk, walnuts, and figs into flour mixture.  Turn into the casserole.
8.       In a saucepan, bring reserved water, sherry, brown sugar, and butter to a boil.
9.      Pour over the batter in casserole.
10.    Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. 
11.    Serve with ice cream. 


Delicious!   like a Sticky Toffee Pudding



No comments:

Post a Comment