Who has bread, need not seek cake. (Polish proverb)
Can’t argue with that, especially if you have Bread Pudding!
BLUEBERRY BREAD PUDDING: serves 4 – 6
Based on 250 Best Cobblers, Custards, Cupcakes, Bread Puddings & More by Esther Brody
1 cup fresh blueberries
¼ cup butter
4 ounces white bread
½ cup 10 % cream (or substitute milk)
1/3 cup milk
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp vanilla
1. Rinse blueberries and set aside to drain.
2. Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly.
3. Butter an 8 or 9 inch casserole.
4. Cut bread into cubes. Put cubes into the casserole.
5. In a medium bowl, beat together all the other ingredients, including butter.
6. Mix in the blueberries.
7. Pour over the bread. Let rest while you preheat the oven to 350.
8. Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes. (Esther suggests 25 to 30 minutes. My oven took 35 minutes.) Test by inserting a knife. It should come out clean.
9. Serve hot with ice cream.
I loved the whole, plump, HOT, berries in this.
I’ve checked all my Ukrainian cookbooks for blueberry recipes and actually found a huckleberry soufflé in Ukrainian Cuisine . . . after I had made this pudding. . . so something to remember for next summer. In the meantime, this was delicious: