Saturday 8 September 2012

PURPLE BEANS from ANASTASIA'S GARDEN


 My sister, Anastasia, has a green thumb.  The amount of stuff she grows in a tiny space is unbelievable!


Gifts from Anastasia’s Garden

PERFECT GREEN BEANS (serve 4)

Cook ¼ pound of beans for each serving.

1 pound frozen cut green beans  (or fresh  beans)
¾ cup water
2 tbsp butter
¼ tsp salt
1/8  tsp pepper
1/8 tsp marjoram (optional or substitute a different spice) 

1.       Measure butter and seasonings and set aside.
2.      Put beans and water in Dutch oven over high heat.
3.      Reduce heat when water begins to boil. 
4.      Boil until tender:  about 7 minutes for frozen beans:  start testing at 5 minutes.  Fresh beans may take about 10 minutes.  (Watch that the water doesn’t all boil away.)
5.      Drain.
6.      Return beans to hot Dutch oven; then add butter and seasonings.
7.      Stir and serve.

  • I cut up and cooked Anastasia’s long purple beans this way – they turned a wonderful dark green and were delicious.
  • Anastasia suggests adding some Chinese spices and a little Oyster Sauce or Hoisin Sauce to the pot with the beans and water.
**********
I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to post a comment on my blog.  It’s like having a conversation and makes blogging so much more fun.  
  
I know that it’s been difficult to leave a comment but I have made some changes that should make it easier.    Also, I have worked out some steps to follow.  Please let me know if they actually helped or maybe need some clarification. 

To make a Comment for the First Time
1.        At the bottom of my post, click on “Links to this Post”.
2.       Type in your comment.
3.       Click Publish.
4.       You will be redirected to a page that says Create your Own Blog.  That doesn’t mean anything.  You will not be creating a blog.  Just type in your gmail address and your password.
5.       Hit Enter and that will bring you back to your comment.
6.       You may have to click on Publish again.  (You may even have to type in your message again, but after this first time, it should be much easier to make a comment.)
7.       Thanks.   And I will respond to your comment! 


2 comments:

  1. My daughter planted some purple string beans in her garden this year, and we all were quite disappointed to find out that they turn green during cooking....what's up with that? I wish they stayed purple....I guess you can't fool mother nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anastasia told me they would turn green so I knew what to expect. I didn't really want to believe her though. LOL.

      Delete