My mother made wonderful meals, but she never pounded . . . and stuffed . . . and rolled . . . and tied up beef!
So who prepared these delicious Ukrainian krepleniky?
Must have been the cooks for the lords and ladies in the Ukrainian zamoks (castles) . . .
Overlooking the River Dnistr, 15th century Khotyn Castle
Entering the fortress that guarded a trade route
Walls 40 m high and 6 m thick
Outer fortification walls
Perfect for a Picnic
based on a recipe in Bohdan Zahny’s The Best of Ukrainian Cuisine p. 90
1 lb round roast (may be cut off a larger Eye of Round Roast)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
½ pound onion
2 tbsp butter
¼ cup raw brown jasmine rice
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 ½ cups sour cream
½ cup salted vegetable stock (or bouillon)
- Cut roast into 6 slices ¼ inch thick.
- Brush both sides of each slice with lemon juice.
- Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes to tenderize.
- Bring rice to boil in ¾ cup salted water (or vegetable stock). Cover, and cook on lowest heat for 25-30 minutes (until water is all absorbed).
- Hard-boil the eggs.
- Chop the onion finely. Sauté in butter on medium heat for 8 minutes. Lower heat and continue browning for 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the rice to the onions. Chop the eggs and add.
- Add ¼ tsp each of salt and pepper.
Comparing slices, before & after pounding
- Lay meat slices between sheets of waxed paper and pound until very thin, but be careful not to make holes.
- Cut twelve pieces of string; each 20 cm. long.
- Put ¼ cup of the egg-rice-onion filling on each slice.
- Roll up and tie with string.
- Mix together flour and ½ tsp each of salt and pepper. Put into a plastic bag.
- Heat large sauté pan with 2 tbsp butter.
- Shake a roll in the flour, then put in sauté pan. Do the same with all the rest.
- Brown gently on all sides.
- Mix together sour cream and vegetable stock.
- Pour over the meat. Cover pan and cook at lowest heat for 30 minutes.
- To reheat, cover pan and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. (I added cooked Syrni Halushky to the sauté pan and reheated both together.)
- To garnish, sprinkle with chopped parsley.