Who can identify this charming child?
Chicken Liver and Bacon Varenyky: from a recipe in Catherine Atkinson’s From Borshch to Blinis.
Mushrooms Paprika: from a recipe in The Spice Cookbook by Avanelle Day and Lillie Stuckey
CHICKEN LIVER and BACON VARENYKY
1 tbsp oil
6 ounces onion
6 ounces bacon
12 ounces chicken livers
3 tbsp chives
scant ½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1. Finely chop onion in a food processor.
2. Chop the bacon and the chicken livers into small pieces.
3. Finely chop the chives.
4. Heat oil in a large frying pan at medium low and cook onion for 5 minutes.
5. Add bacon and cook over slightly higher heat 5 more minutes, stirring all the time.
6. Add livers and stir one minute until browned.
7. With food processor, blend liver mixture until chopped, but not smooth.
8. Add chives, salt, and pepper and process lightly one more time.
See my very first post to see Mary Stadnyk’s recipe for the dough and how to fill and cook the varenyky (perogies).
½ pound onion
1 pound mushrooms
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 cup sour cream
Slice the onions and the mushrooms.
Sauté them in butter until tender.
Add salt, paprika, cayenne, pepper, and parsley. Cook for 2 more minutes.
Stir in sour cream and heat, but do not boil.