We took our first free trip as BC Seniors on BC Ferries Queen of Alberni from Tsawwassen to Duke Point, Nanaimo to visit Kathy at her family’s ocean front cabin:
sunburned arms and noses,
tall, refreshing Tom Collins drinks,
Bryan and I were in charge of cooking for one day. For breakfast we served:
Poppyseed biscuits: my own recipe
½ cup poppyseeds
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1/2 cup soft butter
- Cover poppyseeds with milk for at least 10 minutes. (I soaked them 4 hours.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in food processor.
- Add butter and process to fine crumbs.
- Turn flour mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Stir milk into flour, stirring only long enough to combine. If dough is too stiff to take up all the flour, add 1 to 2 tbsp more milk.
(The secret to tender biscuits is minimum handling.)
- Drop about 6 to 8 large spoonfuls onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes.
* These biscuits are nicely browned on the bottom. For a browner top, adjust oven heat to 450 if necessary.