Saturday 28 July 2012

HALUSHKY? Looks easy . . . OOPS!!!


A cookbook I picked up at the library, From Borshch to Blinis, says, “One of the most popular Ukrainian dishes, galushki, are pieces of a pasta-like dough. . .”

Mom never made halushky – and I think I would remember because, when I was little,  I loved the occasional perogy that lost its filling.

My cousin Marilyn wrote: "Mom's friend, Mrs B.. did these but not as a special dish.. just used up the bits of dough left over from making pyrohi.. That was the first time I had seen that!"   Marilyn adds, "As a kid, I probably would have loved this as I hated pyrohi."

My daughter, however, says we had some nice, light halushky in Ukraine.


Picture taken at The George, our hotel in Lviv.

My main objective was to make Bohdan Zahny’s KOHUTI TRADITSINI. His instructions are to make dumplings with a stiff batter using “enough water” and rolling the dough to 3/16 inches. 

The library cookbook told me to roll the dough until ½ inch thick, but it has nice pictures and it seemed less vague so Idecided to go with it.  Well, I can tell you 2 eggs and 2 tbsp of butter will not blend with 2 cups of flour to make a dough . . . so I added 2 tbsp of water and kneaded hard until the dough was ‘smooth’.
I rolled it to about 1/4 inch – a compromise between the two cookbooks but the result looked like the picture in the cookbook.


I boiled the squares 10 minutes (as suggested in both books) but the square I tasted seemed tough so I gave them another 2 minutes. 


 (Maybe I should have given them another 10 minutes!!!)


Mixed with the chicken, the haluski were edible, but . . . tough. 


Fortunately, Bryan had been busy as well.  He eased us into dinner with some nice peach daiquiris.


Next time I’ll try Savella's Halushky.

No comments:

Post a Comment