Saturday 2 January 2016

PLEASE TO THE TABLE . . . a forever reminder of Christmas 2015!

Christmas morning aboard the Carnival Fascination





Among all the lovely gifts was a card for me from Bryan telling me that   a very special cookbook was waiting for me under my pillow at home!

 
Nassau












******

When we got home, the very first recipe I chose from my new cookbook?  A salad, of course: 

Turp Salati  from Uzbekistan:


1 pound daikon radish
8 ounces jumbo carrot (they’re much sweeter than regular carrots)
½ tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt

·        Peel the radish and grate it.
·        Next, the authors want you to “gently squeeze out” some of its liquid.  My first attempt was with a strainer but that didn’t work.  The ricer worked perfectly.
·        Put the radish in a bowl.
·        Peel and grate the carrot.  Add it to the radish.
·        Stir in the remaining ingredients. 
·        Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Thank you, Anya von Bremzen and John Welchman, for collecting all these wonderful recipes!


 The Turp Salati provided a satisfyingly piquant contrast to my turkey pie. 




No comments:

Post a Comment