Christmas morning aboard the Carnival Fascination
Among all the lovely gifts was a card for me from Bryan telling me that a very special cookbook was waiting for me under my pillow at home!
When we got home, the very first recipe I chose from my new cookbook? A salad, of course:
Turp Salati from Uzbekistan:
1 pound daikon radish
8 ounces jumbo carrot (they’re much sweeter than regular carrots)
½ tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt
· Peel the radish and grate it.
· Next, the authors want you to “gently squeeze out” some of its liquid. My first attempt was with a strainer but that didn’t work. The ricer worked perfectly.
· Put the radish in a bowl.
· Peel and grate the carrot. Add it to the radish.
· Stir in the remaining ingredients.
· Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Thank you, Anya von Bremzen and John Welchman, for collecting all these wonderful recipes!
The Turp Salati provided a satisfyingly piquant contrast to my turkey pie.