From Festive Ukrainian Cooking by Marta Pisetska Farley
Use this filling in Marta’s delicious Vushka, in Mushroom Turnovers, or in Marta’s amazing Mushroom Gravy. The filling freezes well so make the full amount and use as needed.
2 pounds fresh mushrooms
2 pounds onions
1 cup oil or ½ pound butter
2 teaspoons black pepper
3 teaspoons salt
½ cup dry bread crumbs
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
Chop mushrooms fine.
Chop onions and cook in oil or butter in a heavy frypan for 15 minutes at medium high heat.
Add chopped mushrooms. Increase heat to max and cook , stirring, until dry. (It took me 30 minutes.)
Stir in salt, pepper, lemon juice, and bread crumbs. Remove from heat, and keep stirring for 5 more minutes to allow steam to escape.
Use some of this to make the best Mushroom Gravy ever. J
MUSHROOM SAUCE (or gravy, as Marta calls it)
1 cup mushroom filling mixture (from recipe above)
1 cup stock
1 cup light cream
1 tbsp cornstarch
· Bring stock to a boil, together with mushroom mixture, in a saucepan.
· Stir in cream and taste for seasoning.
· Mix cornstarch with a little cold water or stock.
· Stir cornstarch into the sauce until it thickens slightly.
· Serve and swoon. (I served this gravy on Marta’s holubtsi, but it would be amazing whenever a recipe calls for Mushroom Gravy.)