Adventurous food is a hallmark of Nicole's kitchen.
The Preserved Lemons she used with Rainbow Trout are a Moroccan thing and very unusual but very good. Now, I’ve just bought my first Smoked Paprika from an HEB so that I can make:
NICOLE’S BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
4 slices thick bacon
6 ounces onion
¼ tsp chili flakes
2 lbs. butternut squash
2 tsp oregano
7 ½ cups chicken stock
2 cups canned diced (fire-roasted) Italian tomatoes with juice
¼ tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
¾ cup cornmeal
· Peel, seed, and dice butternut squash (1/2 inch cubes)
· Fry bacon until crisp in Dutch oven. Remove, chop, and set aside.
· Fry onion and chili flakes in bacon fat.
· Add squash and oregano. Fry 8 minutes.
· Add chicken stock and tomatoes.
· Bring to a boil. Add pepper and salt to taste.
· Whisk in cornmeal.
· Simmer 30 minutes.
· Purée soup. Taste for seasoning.
· Reheat and serve with chopped bacon, a swirl of whipping cream, and a dusting of smoked paprika. It looks as Fantastic as it tastes!
Another Fantasy . . .