Monday 15 September 2014

STEWS and CAMPING



The challenge of a 3 night camping trip is how to keep food from spoiling.  There are cans, of course, but one trick is to freeze a large amount of stew in a tall jar and put it in a small cooler where it will help to chill the cream for your coffee.


I found an excellent Hungarian Stew recipe in Bernard Clayton’s book, The Complete Book of Soups and Stews. 

The only change I made was that I blended the potatoes in it because I don’t like the texture of frozen potatoes.






Since then, I also have made a very good Boeuf Bourguignon from the same cookbook. 

 Used paperback copies are available from Amazon for a penny!

Here’s to stews al fresco!

 A Vinaigrette Dressing is perfect for an accompanying salad and this one makes a simple  bowl of lettuce and tomatoes taste SPE-CIAL!


¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup canola oi
½ tsp salt
Juice from ½ lemon
¼ cup balsamic vinegar 

Christina Creek Trail J


  

No comments:

Post a Comment