I asked Bryan today what he thinks of being the family baker. “Enhh,” he dismissed it. “It’s a job.”
Blackberry Apple Pie!
Actually, he seems pretty proud J
Onion Hamburger Rolls
but he remains modest as ever.
When complimented on his pizza crust last night, he said, “Eleanor finished it.” (He wasn’t home when it was finished rising so I turned it out of the mixing bowl and spread it out on the baking sheet.)
I still bake the cakes,
but Bryan makes the icings. This one's marzipan.
This one's Marshmallow (to use up some of the marshmallows we bought for camping. It’s okay, but we all prefer a buttery icing.)
Rieska (a breakfast bread)
From COMPLETE VEGETARIAN COOKBOOK by Janet Hunt
2 cups rye or barley (Bry used barley)
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 cup milk
*Preheat oven to 425.
*Grease a baking sheet.
*Melt the butter.
· Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl.
· Mix in milk and melted butter.
· Knead briefly to make a smooth dough.
· Put dough on baking sheet and press it into a circle about ½ inch thick.
· Prick lightly and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden.
· Serve warm with butter.
*I actually served this with a stew and liked it, but others commented that it didn’t work because it wasn’t good for dipping.