In St. Paul’s Hospital
Now, my lovely daughter is all grown up and shares her favorite cookbooks with me. This recipe comes from Rebar Modern Food Cookbook.
PEROGIES, YAM (enough filling for one batch of dough)
1 ¼ pounds yams (0.56 kg)
½ tbsp butter
1 smallish leek, mostly white part, chopped OR one small onion, chopped
¼ tsp salt
¼ pound smoked Gouda cheese, grated
1/8 cup minced chives
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp caraway seed (optional)
Filling can be prepared one day in advance.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub yam and poke here & there with a fork. Place on oiled baking pan. Add ¼ cup (to 1 cup) water & roast until yam is soft & puffy.
- Cool to handling temperature. Peel & mash or puree until smooth.
- While yams roast, heat butter. Add leeks (or onion) & salt & sauté until lightly golden & caramelized.
- Combine leeks, mashed yams, cheese, & chives. Season with pepper (& caraway, if using). Taste for salt.