Wednesday 1 May 2013

Begin! the Merry Month of May and Bohdan Zahny's POUND CAKE

May 1, 2013

From Manitoba, Crystal writes: "Dashing through the snow, in a one horse open sleigh"................
(i think ya get where i'm going with this)

Nasty weather and the flu . . . Well, I hope your family is feeling better, Crystal, and up to their usual shenanigans.


***********
                                              April 2013

It’s a lovely day here and Vesper is all better and ready to boogie.   
  
            And I’m ready to cook.  Something Ukrainian. 

So I’ve hauled out Bohdan Zahny’s The Best of Ukrainian Cuisine and I’m going to try his Papushnik (Pound Cake).  The only problem is the recipe doesn’t include any leavening agent and yet it wants me to put the dough in a warm place to rise until doubled?????  Here are the ingredients!

2 lbs flour
½ qt. milk
6 eggs
1 stick butter
½ lb sugar
¼ tsp vanilla
1/3 cup icing sugar
Salt to taste

WELL!    

So I’ve decided to actually follow the recipe, but I’m going to cut it in half so that if it doesn’t work (as I truly suspect) at least I won’t have wasted so much stuff.  J

************
(Bohdan did not say what kind of baking pan would hold his full-size recipe!)

11:30 AM:  I’m leaving it to rise in a slightly warmed oven for 2 hours. 
********************
Meanwhile, in Laredo:




Kepler thinks it's rotten that his mom has to leave him and  go to work.


************
So, did the cake rise?

Of course not.

What will I do with it?

Bake it anyway and use it to make Bread Pudding. J

No comments:

Post a Comment