Oops! I made this pizza today and carefully measured the water for the dough: 1 ¼ cups. I then found I needed more flour than I had indicated in my previous blog! I have gone back and changed that blog but I am also giving the proper amounts here:
1 tsp sugar
1 ¼ cups lukewarm water
1 envelope (2 ½ teaspoons) yeast
Flour: 2 ¾ cups and just enough more to make a non-sticky dough (one or 2 tbsps)
1. Stir to dissolve sugar in lukewarm water.
2. Sprinkle the yeast onto the swirling water. Do not stir. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes until foamy.
3. Put 2 cups of flour into a large mixing bowl.
4. Measure another cup of flour and set it to the side.
5. Stir the yeast and water into the mixing bowl.
6. Sprinkle some of the extra flour onto a working surface.
7. Drop another ¼ cup flour onto the dough in the bowl. Now turn the contents of the mixing bowl out onto the working surface and start kneading.
8. Sprinkle additional flour from the cup onto the dough as needed to make a smooth, non-sticky, but still tender dough.
9. Sprinkle more flour onto the working surface. Set the dough on this and cover with the mixing bowl. Leave to rise for at least 10 minutes while you prepare the pan and the toppings.
10. Brush the pan with 1 tsp of vegetable oil.
11. Place oven rack at lowest level. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
SPINACH & BACON PIZZA TOPPINGS: based on Joie Warner’s All the Best Pizzas
Freshly grated black pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
4 slices bacon
8 ounces mozzarella
2 cups baby spinach leaves
1. Dice the bacon and fry until crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
2. Cut up the spinach leaves (not finely).
3. Grate the cheese.
When you lift the bowl that’s sitting over the dough, you will find the dough will be in a soft, round shape. With floured hands, gently lift it and place in centre of oiled pan. Press and push the dough to fill the pan. (If necessary, sprinkle the top of the dough lightly with flour to help with patting.)
Bake dough without any toppings for 7 minutes. Remove from oven.
Reduce oven temperature to 450.
Cover with toppings in this order:
- Tomato sauce, thinly spread.
- Grate some pepper.
- Sprinkle the nutmeg.
- A thin layer of cheese.
- The spinach.
- Finish off with the cheese.
Return to oven and bake the pizza for 15 - 18 minutes until the cheese is melted and just starting to brown. Yum!