Roasted Stuffed Pumpkin: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.
Ukrainian Green Peppers (Salat z Pairtsyoo from The Best of Ukrainian Cuisine by Bohdan Zahny)
Okra Pickles (a wonderful find -- brought back from our trip to Laredo)
When my daughter suggested the recipe for the pumpkin I was skeptical, but it turned out so amazing I would definitely make it again:
4 pound pumpkin
Salt & pepper
4 ounces bacon
Crusty white bread
4 ounces Gruyere
4 ounces white cheddar
4 cloves garlic
3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (from a can in Mexican section)
¼ tsp cumin
½ cup half-and-half cream
1. Cut the top out of the pumpkin and reserve. Clean out pumpkin.
2. Salt & pepper the inside of the pumpkin.
3. Broil the bacon, chop, and put into large bowl.
4. Slice 4 ounces of bread, cut into cubes, and add to the bowl.
5. Mince 4 cloves garlic and add to bowl.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Grate the cheeses & add to the bowl.
8. Chop 3 of the chipotle peppers & add to the bowl.
9. Stir everything together and stuff the pumpkin. (Pack tightly, if necessary.)
10. Mix together cumin, nutmeg, and cream. Pour this over the stuffing. Cover with top of pumpkin.
11. Place pumpkin in a round pie plate and cook for 2 hours. (The stuffing looked great when it expanded!)
12. To serve, cut into 4 sections.
Bohdan’s YUMMY Green Peppers
2 large green peppers
1/3 cup mayonnaise
Cut the peppers into 1 inch pieces.
Bring 1 cup water to a boil with ¼ tsp salt. Add peppers and cook for 10 minutes.
Drain, refresh with cold water, and set aside to cool.
Mix in mayonnaise.
My daughter liked the peppers but thought them too rich to accompany this pumpkin. But I argued that “too rich” does not compute in Ukrainian cuisine . . .