Sunday 8 July 2018

"They always win" . . . and . . . Ukrainian Beef Tcherkassy Style


July 22nd 1982
        I received your letter this week.  It not that I had no time to answer sooner, it’s I left writing for a while so don’t remember to write. 
        Dad took a bus to Diana’s, 

the buses are changed so he went 4:20 pm, he will arrive late but I phoned Diana so they will know he will get there about nine o’clock.
        It rained all morning, stopped around 3 o’clock in afternoon, we been getting enough rain for a while, I would like to get some hoeing done but it’s too wet.
        Sunday they have dinner after church but Dad be away so I have no way to go.
        Karen gave a piece to embroider which Stasia gave her but there is no chart so I really don’t know how to get about it. 
        Stasia was down for a week
and Karen & the children went back with her to the stampede, they stayed a week, they are back now.
        Donald is haying, George did some hay on the new place.  It was so dry there for a good while that George had to move his cattle on Lornie’s and some to the north quarter at home but he still has to haul water for them.
        Matt was thinking on selling his as it was getting so bare.
        I don’t remember whether I told that we went to Lornie’s grad.
        Lately I haven’t been doing anything in particular only looking after geese, we have 53 altogether young ones and 4 old ones.
        Stasia wants me to make king size pillows but I don’t know whether Lisa will like them
as it has to be something she would like  I may only send the feathers and Stasia can make them.
        I have very small garden and the beans froze so it makes smaller.  My plums didn’t produce any berries,  they bloomed but nothing.  Cherry are there but they light in color so I don’t care for them, I will do them up when they be ready.
        Matt bought a box of cherries, Shirley done them in my canner.  She was so pleased with the canner that she wants to buy one, they are little different, they are round and granite.
        Douglas plays baseball,
they always win, he’s going to Binscarth Friday, Sat and Sunday to a tournament, he’s looking forward to that.  They won two trophies already, if they win in Binscarth all they will get one there. 
        Diana & Bill are going to Vancouver on July 30th.  Diana wants me to come in Aug, I don’t know as if garden stuff does well I will be pickling but I may go for three days if I can.
        Tomorrow I will dill the lettuce, it will be ready when Dad comes back.
        I will close for now with best wishes and lot of good luck.

                                                   ******


                                             p. 82 "The Best of Ukrainian Cuisine":
My daughter, who has lent me Zahny's book, asked what made these ground beef cutlets taste so delicious and unique.  I think the answer is that the onions in them were well-fried.
        Zahny's cookbook is available to purchase online.  Put it on your wish list AND give it as a gift.

                                                                           ****

My grand-niece will be off to middle school this fall.

******


Here's a  tome that may appeal to scholars of things Ukrainian.  I only read a few pages but discovered that the term Galicia was 'invented' to help the Austrians feel better about participating in the partition of Poland that put western Ukraine under Austrian rule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment