Sunday 22 July 2018

"It took me only an hour." . . . and JULY HARVEST FOOD


July 27, 1987
George took me to church as Matt had to take Douglas to baseball 30 miles past Winnipeg.  They won one and lost two.  Lost 2 to 1. 

July 27, 1987:  (36 cent stamp)   I hoed the garden for the last time.  There were only a few weeds but there were Canadian Thistles so had to be hoed.  I did that this morning.  It took me only an hour.  I been crocheting hats but I am in need of yarn for trim so I may go to town on Thursday when my cheques come. 
Shirley and Aline are using new potatoes what they planted early.  I haven’t any cabbage & tomatoes.  Some say tomatoes have blight this year. 

July 9, 1989
On Thursday Matt watered the garden so it got a good soaking yesterday.  Yesterday it rained here.  It was a good rain and some rain today.  
But last night it hailed some too.  They say in Oakburn it hailed 100 per cent.  But Donald said it hailed here 40 per cent.  I hope not. 
Yesterday I started to cut pieces for Nicholas’ quilt.  I been cutting out pieces today and for a rug. 
I ordered myself a dress. 
I wrote to Diana on Thursday and to Stasia yesterday.
Douglas bought a small car today. 


               Kacy and Nicholas in 2018 with their baby, Leanne

                                                                         ******
Comment from my cousin, Marilyn:  As I was reading your Mom's letter, I was thinking if I would be able to write a letter using her style of writing about everyday life. You and I should try this! What an incredible garden Nellie had which was so common then, now we only read about contaminated food and Food Warning recalls. I can understand Salmonella in chicken nuggets as gross as it is, but Ritz crackers



******



4 pounds of greens I chopped for "Braised Mixed Greens with Glazed Rutabagas", a recipe from FOOD & WINE 1995:  http://labellecuisine.com/Archives/surprise/Festive%20Fall%20Feast%20(Patrick%20Clark)%20Part%202.htm

******
Aunt Nellie's Garden:

******


Happy Holidays in Ukraine to my cousin, Pat (Showdra) McLaughlin!

Pat says she loves Ternopil.  I do, too, Pat, even in the rain.

******





No comments:

Post a Comment