Friday 4 April 2014

April 9, 1990, MOM's letter. . . and a Raisin Pudding that makes its own Sauce!

(from Diana’s in Winnipeg)
(39 cent stamp)
April 9th 1990
        I have nothing to say but you will wonder what come of me.
        Tomorrow I have to see the Doctor about my swelling of legs.  Even she gave me water pills but she said to take one pill a day so its not doing much  I do have this problem at home so I sit on recliner.  I do have my legs on a stool but its too low so today I tried to hold them on a chair I will see what that will do.
       




Yesterday Diana & me did 4 Easter eggs.  Will do more this week the dye was last years I only added a table spoon of vinegar and its perfect.  I am sure it will hold out for one year more.











        Did the girls do any more Easter eggs?

        I made the paska on Friday made holoptsy on Sat.

        I started to diet on Friday but today I am very hungry if I pass today it may be all right.
       
I will be going home 10 or 11th of May.  Bill will be going to Tisdale Sask so he said I will be able to go home then.
     










   I started the Begonias but none is come through I will have to phone them about them.  I did open the packet as they wrote but none is up. 
        Diana started today on her new job.  Shes not home yet I don’t know what time she will come home.  Bill is getting ready to go on a trip east.
        I was going to make pyrohy but I still want to sit with my feet up I got so many letters to write even haven’t answered one to Ukraine.
        I am knitting socks for Matt that likely what I be doing till I go home
        My sister Nellie was in Winnipeg for two weeks now she went home to get ready for Easter the whole family will be home for Easter
        For the last three year or four at Dianas for Easter I haven’t been home for Easter or Christmas I kind of miss it but I could not be able to prepare for festivals.
        I will close for now have a happy Easter all of you 
Love Mother

************ 
Until our move to B.C., I had some of the Easter eggs Mom made.  The tradition continues, however, in the family.  Here’s Aunt Nellie’s granddaughter, MaryAn, and some pysanky she just made with a friend.

P.S.  MaryAn's mother, Marilyn, commented:   I was surprised to learn that your Mom decorated Easter Eggs.  My Mom never did them, much to my Dad's disappointment.  So one year he decided we would do this as a project as his family made Pysanky.  Can't say that I had seen decorated eggs before this.  He made a Kistka using pig's hair that were tied to a small stick.   Yes, I remember this well as it was not the easiest thing to draw with.  It literally looked like hen scratches on the egg!  After this "experiment" my Dad never teased my Mom again about not being able to make Pysanky.   Mom proudly continued to add chocolate covered egg shaped marshmallow with the Fuchsia coloured icing sugar flower on top to her Paska basket!  Do you remember them?


**************
And now, here's a recipe that's so good I can honestly say; "Last but not least!"

RAISIN PUDDING floating on its own GOLDEN SAUCE

        Thank you to Elsie Thwaites in Saskatoon!

1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
½ tsp vanilla
½ cup raisins
2 cups boiling water

1 tbsp butter
½ cup white sugar
1 cup flour
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup milk

·        Grease an 8x8 inch deep casserole.  (Don’t use a larger one.)
·        Put brown sugar, 1 tbsp butter, vanilla, raisins, and boiling water in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil on high heat.  Reduce heat to medium and boil for 6 minutes.  Remove from heat and set aside.

·        Preheat oven to 350.
·        Cream 1 tbsp butter with white sugar.
·        Mix together flour, salt, and baking powder in another bowl.
·        Add flour mixture to creamed butter alternately with milk.
·        Spread batter in casserole and pour raisin syrup over the batter.
·        Bake 40 minutes. 
*During baking, the cake rises to the top and the sauce is at the bottom.


Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.  YUM, YUM, YUM!



No comments:

Post a Comment