Sunday 21 April 2013

D is for Delightful DOGS, Delicious DOUGHNUTS, and DOVBUSH


The Icebreaker in Surrey

Since I’ve been walking Vesper I’ve met sooo many new people and dogs.   Tonight’s encounter with a hugely rotund, friendly bulldog who absolutely wanted me to pat her still has me smiling. 

The Vamp in Laredo

On walks, I was stopped more than once by people who were interested in having Maybelle meet their Dog.  There was even an offer to buy her.

******************



“No, no, thou never didst me good
nor ever will, I know”

Isabella Whitney was not thinking of DOUGHNUTS when she wrote those lines in 1573, but still they perfectly express my obsession.  Open a box of those crispy treats in front of me and I’m lost:

French Crullers, Glazed Old Fashioneds, Glazed Sour Creams, Lemon Jellies, Apple Fritters . . . ahhhh. 

But my favourite is a whipped cream filled Ghostbuster.  If you are ever spot a Robin’s Doughnuts, zip in and have one.  You’ll thank me later. J
 
In the States, I can’t resist a fresh, hot Honey doughnut at a Krispy Kreme.  And there’s a little stand on the white sandy shores in the Florida Panhandle that makes incredible doughnuts – I chose a Key Lime AND a Red Velvet!
Recent experiences in Texas didn’t disappoint either:  http://eleanorstadnyk.blogspot.ca/2013/03/travels-with-kepler.html

Of course, Mom used to make and freeze dozens of doughnuts for late evening snacks. In June, 1982, she wrote:
When I baked the doughnuts I thought I would have for all summer but they are all gone.  Will have to do them next week when I get the flour. 

But the only doughnuts I make are Indian GULAB JAMON which are small and round and swimming in a rosewater-sugar syrup.  I didn’t actually like them the first time I had them in India, but, like all other doughnuts, they are addictive!

*****************

Ukraine in the 1700’s:  Oleska Dovbush and “his band of merry Hutsuls” hid in the Carpathian Mountains, robbed the rich, and gave to the poor.  A Polish army couldn’t catch him, but he was betrayed by his mistress, executed, dismembered, and distributed about the villages as a warning to other opryshki (outlaws). 
[from Lonely Planet]

 

                         

No comments:

Post a Comment