Wednesday 27 July 2022

PAUL STADNYK (my cousin -- the son of Alex Stadnyk) . . . and Perfect Chocolate Icing

  Thank you to Sheila Bunka for sending me this obituary.  

First, I want to clarify who this Paul Stadnyk is because Dad's oldest brother was also named Paul Stadnyk.  

This Paul Stadnyk was the son of Dad's brother, Alex and his wife, Olena. . .  I never met either of them. . . but I did meet my first cousin, Paul and his wife, Anne. 

                       from: Marion Turetski's book: "Fifty Years Young"

So, Allan Parke, this Paul Stadnyk was first cousin to your mother, Sophie.  And, he was first cousin to Danny's father, Steve.)

 I particularly remember them coming to visit in their new Edsel.  

Their is one inaccuracy in the obit above.  Paul and Anne did  not build a new home "on their homestead".  Paul actually bought that farm from my father, Nick Stadnyk, who homesteaded it with my mother, Mary Stadnyk.  My mother went to that homestead as a bride in October, 1931.  She carried water to the house from a slough and patched her first oven with mud.  Six of  Nick and Mary's 7 children, including me, were born there.  

Paul did build a new home, however, because the house I was born in burned down.   There was a poorly designed chimney which caught fire more than once before the final conflagration.  

Paul and Anne worked very hard and prospered on the farm, building up his holdings to 7 sections before he died, but, sadly, they did not have any children. 

One of the workers Paul employed, as mentioned in the obit, was my cousin, Larry Leschasin.  

**************

CHOCOLATE ICING:  excellent and very easy!

             (enough for a two-layer cake)

 

1 ½ cups chocolate chips

¾ cup sour cream (175 ml)

Dash of salt

 

Melt chocolate chips in top of double boiler. 

Add sour cream and salt.  Beat until creamy and smooth.

Spread immediately while still warm on top and sides of cake. 


******************************

                                                                            This is a book I have really enjoyed.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment