A letter to us from Bryan's mother when we were at Library School . . .
Bryan’s CHERRY-OAT SCONES
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
¼ tsp salt
½ cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ cup softened butter
½ cup to 1 cup dried sour cherries (the more, the merrier)
1 ¼ cups buttermilk
· Start oven preheating to 450 degrees. (Your oven may only require 425 degrees)
· Grease a baking sheet.
· Put oats, both flours, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in food processor. Give it a whirl to mix things up.
· Add butter and process until the butter is mixed in.
· Transfer all of it to a mixing bowl.
· Stir in the cherries.
· Stir in buttermilk.
· Drop large scoops onto baking sheet.
· Bake 15 minutes.