So you’ve come home from a playground or camping or a trip somewhere and you need to make something for dinner. Here’s a wonderful and easy recipe!
CURRIED MUSSELS (serves 4)
From CHATELAINE MAGAZINE, October, 2010
1 kg fresh mussels
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
½ red onion, sliced thinly
1 tbsp curry powder
¾ can coconut milk (or use all of it)
1 large tomato
1 small tomato (such as a plum tomato)
½ tsp salt
½ cup chopped cilantro
· Wash mussels in several changes of water until it becomes clear and free of sand.
· If any are open, tap them with a table knife and set aside. Check them in a few minutes. If they’re still open, discard them.
· Scrub the mussels with a kitchen brush and remove beards by pulling toward the hinge.
· Put back in the fridge until serving time.
· Chop the tomatoes.
· Heat a large pot with oil. Add onion and stir for 3 minutes.
· Stir in curry powder and cook 1 minute.
· Add tomatoes, coconut milk, and salt.
· Increase heat. When boiling add mussels and cover.
· Cook 3 minutes.
· Discard mussels that don’t open.
· Garnish with cilantro and serve.