We packed most of our camping equipment into the car this weekend . . . except for the tents . . .
because our friend, John, gave us the key to his 2-bedroom, brand-new cabin on 10 wooded acres at Forest Grove (near 100 Mile House) in the Cariboo region of B.C..
John has built houses and cabins in Ontario, Saskatchewan, the Yukon, and in British Columbia.
He likes to do most of the work by himself because he is very particular. Everything is done to house specs.
When we’re camping, the easiest way to cook eggs is to boil them.
However, since we were glamping, I made use of the oven for this incredibly easy and DELICIOUS French recipe:
OEUFS sur le plat
from THE GOOD COOK: EGGS & CHEESE
Recipe by Prosper Montagne and A. Gottschalk
(Prosper edited Larousse Gastronomique!)
¼ lb cooked beef, thinly sliced
Salt & pepper
3 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp tomato sauce (canned)
· Start oven preheating to 450 degrees.
· Butter 6 small ovenproof dishes.
· Line each one with 2 slices of beef to make a cup.
· Sprinkle the beef with salt & pepper.
· Break an egg into each beef cup.
· Top with a little melted butter.
· Bake for 8 to 10 minutes: until whites are cooked but yolks are still soft.
· Garnish with a teaspoon of tomato sauce.
· Unmold and serve with toast. Oh, YUM!