Thursday 5 November 2015

BREAKFASTS in INDIA. . . and Indian-style BROCCOLI BITES


All our fancy Indian hotels offered huge buffets for breakfast.

Five years ago, I didn’t like the South Indian rice dumplings called idlis.  They come with a sauce called sambhar.   I guess, for me, it’s an acquired taste because I just took one this time as a kind of fond salute to our last trip . . . and I really liked it!

Every one of the buffets had a short-order station where you could order an omelet, eggs the way you like them, or a dosa.

I defy anyone not to enjoy the thin South Indian crepe called dosa.  It comes stuffed with spicy potatoes, but if you ask they will put an omelet inside and voilà – a regular breakfast wrap!

At our last hotel, I reached for a ready-made poori, but the old chef looked horrified.  He waved a finger at me and made me two fresh puffy pooris.  Then, I lifted a covered lid and found my absolute favorite Indian dessert -- hot, syrupy jelebis!


In short, the breakfast buffets in India are OUTSTANDING!

********

Pakoras are an Indian appetizer I love which also appeared at one breakfast buffet.   I've made the following recipe more than once because it reminds me of a pakora (also called  pakoda in some parts of India).
APPETIZER:  BROCCOLI  TIDBITS

            From THE VICTORY GARDEN COOKBOOK

2 cups blanched broccoli chopped into ¼ inch pieces
1 ½ cups fresh bread crumbs
½ cup freshly grated cheese (cheddar, Swiss, etc.)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp finely minced garlic
1/3 cup vegetable oil

·        Beat eggs and combine with all the other ingredients except oil.
·        Form into 1 ½ inch balls.


·        Heat oil and cook broccoli until browned on all sides: about 5 minutes.
·        Serve hot.  Irresistible!




No comments:

Post a Comment