1953: grade 4:
In Health class, we were taught about nutrition and asked to prepare a menu to demonstrate our new understanding of a balanced meal. I couldn’t make myself do it. Instead, I listed all my favourite foods: creamed chicken, creamed carrots, and creamed potatoes.
Mary Stadnyk’s Creamed chicken (Koorka v Smetani)
2 onions (one for making stock & one for the creamed chicken)
1 carrot, cut in large chunks
1 stalk celery, cut in large chunks
3 whole cloves
1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
1 cup whipping cream
- Disjoint chicken. Rinse and drain.
- Put chicken in large stock pot and cover with water (8 to 10 cups). Set on high heat.
- Remove scum.
- Add onion in quarters and the chopped carrot and celery.
- Add peppercorns, cloves, & salt. Add some parsley if you have some.
- When water boils, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from broth. Reserve broth for soup.
- Chop second onion finely.
- Sauté the onion in 2 teaspoons butter for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Pour on whipping cream.
- Bring to boil, add cooked chicken, reduce cream a little, and serve.